From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Recent changes to my rewite branch
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 23:15:33
1 On Sat, 2013-06-01 at 16:35 -0400, W. Trevor King wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 12:48:13PM -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 > > I've updated my rewrite with the other changes to master since I did
4 > > started the rewrite branch. Some commits were just cherry-picked
5 > > across, some needed minor editing to suit.
6 >
7 > In other projects I'm involved in, the preferred approach is to rebase
8 > the feature branch onto the current master. The problem with cherry
9 > picking master advances onto your feature branch is that anyone else
10 > with feature branches based on the current master will have to rebase
11 > *their* feature branches to keep up with your branch. If the person
12 > proposing the changes does the rebasing, that's only a single branch
13 > that has to be rebased, which scales better ;).
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 > Trevor
19 I didn't realize that. I can throw <some> blame towards Jorge who asked
20 me to update my branch with the master additions.
21
22 Well they weren't that tough, so I should be able to redo it. But my
23 rewrite is more than just a feature. I am restructuring the entire code
24 base. And the more my branch diverges the harder it gets to constantly
25 rebase...
26
27 It's stuff like this that I hate working in side branches :/ while
28 development continues in the master. At some point, the decision has to
29 be made to switch development, just maintain the old with needed bug
30 fixes in a renamed side branch. Port the bug fixes that still apply to
31 the new development branch.
32 --
33 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>