From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] documentation
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:39:01
1 I went through the threads thus far and pulled out what I think should be added to the online documentation. I don't know the proper way to add it to the documention. It's all written by John Davis, Chris Gianelloni, or me. I edited a little.
2
3 FAQs:
4 -----
5 Where do I put per-package use flags, mask settings, etc.?
6
7 Catalyst supports the configuration files in /etc/portage. Just add the
8 following to your spec file.
9
10 portage_confdir: /path/to/custom/etc/portage
11
12 Note that you need to use the same portage_confdir for your seed stages.
13 --
14 Should I really build my own stage1 or just use stage1s from gentoo mirrors?
15
16 Just use the stage1 from the mirrors, unless you use
17 --
18 How do I keep a GRP updated?
19
20 To keep your GRP updated, all that you will have to do is regenerate
21 your snapshot and rebuild the GRP set. Catalyst will take care of the
22 upgrades automatically by only rebuilding the packages that have been
23 upgraded.
26 Refererence:
27 ------------
28 Options clst_storedir and clst_sharedir go in catalyst.conf.
29 --
30 Don't use a symlink for your portage_confdir.
31 --
32 For grp, tinderbox, and livecd targets, the target/use setting uses normal portage USE syntax.
33 --
34 Your seed stage should never have anything in /etc/portage, at all. If
35 you are using a portage_confdir for one target, then you will need it
36 for them all (unless it doesn't apply). For example, if you make a
37 change to glibc in your portage_confdir, then you must use the same
38 portage_confdir throughout the entire build process, or glibc will be
39 rebuilt in a later target when emerge --newuse is called. Everything
40 must be consistent across all targets, otherwise the latest target's
41 environment takes precedence.
42
43 The seed is basically devoid of portage configuration data because it
44 shouldn't have an /etc/portage or a /usr/portage/profiles and its
45 make.conf (if any) is ignored. The spec file use flags during an
46 applicable build are functionally equivalent to USE= in make.conf on a
47 normal system. The profile information is provided by the snapshot and
48 portage_confdir provides the information a normal system's /etc/portage
49 directory would provide. The snapshot's profile, target/use, and
50 portage_confdir are used the same way as portage on a normal system uses
51 its profile, USE in make.conf, and portage_confdir.
54 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list