From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Error messages during startup
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 18:36:50
1 Hi all;
2
3 I've created a livecd using Catalyst, by starting with a standard stage3
4 then generating a livecd-stage1 and livecd-stage2. I've booted the iso
5 image (in VMWare) and it does boot and I get a root prompt.
6
7 However, I get some errors and issues during the boot process and I
8 though maybe someone here could point me to some solutions:
9
10 1) Early in the boot process I get an error message saying I "passed an
11 undefined mode number", then it asks me to choose a console mode
12 (80x24, etc.) What do I need to do to have it pick one without
13 asking me?
14
15 2) It then asks me what keymap I want; what do I need to do to have it
16 just choose the default keymap?
17
18 3) It then can't find /etc/mtab, and I get this:
19
20 >> Booting.warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
21 ..
22 Segmentation fault
23 *: Failed to unmount the initrd!
24 INIT: version 2.84 booting
25
26 then it appears to continue properly, but this doesn't look good.
27 Ideas as to this? /etc/mtab is supposed to be managed by mount, I
28 thought... why isn't it here? And what's dumping core?
29
30 4) Then it tries to start devfsd but can't find /sbin/devfsd. What I
31 really want is to run udev on here, not devfs. Thoughts on this?
34 Thanks for any insight you can provide...
38 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds & Tools
39 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
41 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
42 --
43 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list