From: Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Feature - add support for Amazon EC2
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 23:24:58
1 On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 21 May 2014 04:18:17 +0530
4 > Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > I would like to add a feature to the catalyst project. I would like to
9 > > deliver the following:
10 > >
11 > > Catalyst <https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/> module
12 > > which would be used to build AMI (amazon machine images) and upload
13 > > it directly to the AWS
14 > >
15 > > - Catalyst currently produces Gentoo stages using spec files into
16 > > which I would add a feature to build AMIs in the same manner by using
17 > > the spec file.
18 > > - In this manner, user can generate AMIs from latest stages and
19 > > configure their system in whatever fashion they want without
20 > > bloating there system with pre-generated stages (which have
21 > > unnecessary packages).
22 > > - 'rich0' (gentoo-dev Richard Freeman) has very nicely blogged
23 > > about how to bootstrap Gentoo on EC2
24 > > [here<
25 > http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/gentoo-ec2-tutorial-bootstrapping/
26 > >
27 > > ] which I would be following to write this module up inside of
28 > > catalyst for which I would be using Python.
29 > > - User would be expected to provide their AWS related information
30 > > (like region, key pair).
31 > >
32 > > Currently, I'll be concentrating on AWS only but would be extending
33 > > this to Openstack, Virtualbox, DigitalOcean. I have a brief idea
34 > > about the catalyst module (3.0 branch) and have been following as
35 > > well as contributing (some minor bug fixes) it from past few months.
36 > > I'd be really happy to contribute to the gentoo community.
37 > >
38 > > Please give me your feedback.
39 > >
40 > > Regards,
41 > > Proneet Verma
42 > > (irc: proneet @ freenode)
43 >
44 > Yes, by all means, go ahead. When you have some code, ping me and/or
45 > others for some review. Or just send the patches to the mail list.
46 > But for interim code to review just send a link we can look at it or
47 > fetch it from.
50 Thank you. Sure, I'll be maintaining my version on my github profile[1].
51 Will keep sending my progress to the ML as and when I advance.
52
53 [1] => https://github.com/proneetv/catalyst/
54
55 Regards,