From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:32:48
1 On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 23:35 -0600, Mikey wrote:
2 > On Monday 19 December 2005 10:06, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > No. A USE flag can break the "system" target but not break beyond that
5 > > point. This means a USE flag may be safe during the creation of a
6 > > stage4 tarball but not during a stage3 tarball. Why? Because during
7 > > the creation of stages 1 though 3 we only have a limited set of packages
8 > > and even those packages are compiled and configured in minimal ways.
9 > > Until we reach the "system" target we do not have a guaranteed working
10 > > complete system to work with.
11 >
12 > What legal USE flag, other than perhaps build/bootstrap, can break a stage3
13 > (system) build?
14
15 hal (or any other that requires kernel sources)
16
17 > If catalyst supports custom use flags via a profile, why not via make.conf?
18 > Is there an underlying difference between the way use flags are calculated
19 > depending on their presence in the profile versus make.conf?
20
21 Not so much as there is an underlying definition of what each stage
22 represents.
23
24 > My primary motivation for wanting to be able to use USE flags in the lower
25 > stages is to shorten the build time and reduce bloat, by using USE flags
26 > that are perfectly valid for the toolchain packages. I am building for
27 > servers, not desktops, and would rather avoid the extra step (stage3 ->
28
29 THEN MAKE A PROFILE.
30
31 I'm not sure how I can make it any clearer without busting out the
32 <blink></blink> tags.
33
34 > stage4). Catalyst would be an extremely useful tool for me if it were not
35 > for what seem to be arbitrary limitations. All invalid USE flags are
36 > thrown out by bootstrap.sh, any standard USE flags should be available when
37 > emerging system, if they are not something is wrong with portage...
38
39 What's a "standard" USE flag? There are *tons* of examples of circular
40 dependencies and other issues with using certain USE flags during
41 "emerge system", which is the primary reason why we are removing the
42 lower stages from distribution.
43
44 > It is much simpler in my mind to add USE="nptl -pam -nls" to make.conf than
45 > to create custom profiles, dick around with rsync-excludes to prevent them
46 > from being deleted when I sync, having to port them over to every new
47 > release, etc...
48
49 What is in your mind and what is truth don't exactly match up. Why do
50 you need rsync-excludes? Why do you need to port anything? Either I am
51 not understanding or you don't exactly understand how a profile works.
52
53 You need exactly two files: parent and make.defaults
54
55 Point parent to the 2005.1 profile. In make.defaults you need exactly 1
56 line, which is your changed USE from what 2005.1 defaults to.
59 Chris Gianelloni
60 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
61 x86 Architecture Team
62 Games - Developer