From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Feature - add support for Amazon EC2
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 18:55:40
1 On 05/21/2014 12:03 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 May 2014 04:18:17 +0530
3 > Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I would like to add a feature to the catalyst project. I would like to
8 >> deliver the following:
9 >>
10 >> Catalyst <https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/> module
11 >> which would be used to build AMI (amazon machine images) and upload
12 >> it directly to the AWS
13 >>
14 >> - Catalyst currently produces Gentoo stages using spec files into
15 >> which I would add a feature to build AMIs in the same manner by using
16 >> the spec file.
17 >> - In this manner, user can generate AMIs from latest stages and
18 >> configure their system in whatever fashion they want without
19 >> bloating there system with pre-generated stages (which have
20 >> unnecessary packages).
21 >> - 'rich0' (gentoo-dev Richard Freeman) has very nicely blogged
22 >> about how to bootstrap Gentoo on EC2
23 >> [here<http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/gentoo-ec2-tutorial-bootstrapping/>
24 >> ] which I would be following to write this module up inside of
25 >> catalyst for which I would be using Python.
26 >> - User would be expected to provide their AWS related information
27 >> (like region, key pair).
28 >>
29 >> Currently, I'll be concentrating on AWS only but would be extending
30 >> this to Openstack, Virtualbox, DigitalOcean. I have a brief idea
31 >> about the catalyst module (3.0 branch) and have been following as
32 >> well as contributing (some minor bug fixes) it from past few months.
33 >> I'd be really happy to contribute to the gentoo community.
34 >>
35 >> Please give me your feedback.
36 >>
37 >> Regards,
38 >> Proneet Verma
39 >> (irc: proneet @ freenode)
40 >
41 > Yes, by all means, go ahead. When you have some code, ping me and/or
42 > others for some review. Or just send the patches to the mail list.
43 > But for interim code to review just send a link we can look at it or
44 > fetch it from.
45 >
46 Indeed that sounds a good idea to me.
49 Regards,
50 Markos Chandras