From: Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Feature - add support for Amazon EC2
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:49:00
1 Hi,
2
3 I would like to add a feature to the catalyst project. I would like to
4 deliver the following:
5
6 Catalyst <https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/> module which
7 would be used to build AMI (amazon machine images) and upload it directly
8 to the AWS
9
10 - Catalyst currently produces Gentoo stages using spec files into which
11 I would add a feature to build AMIs in the same manner by using the spec
12 file.
13 - In this manner, user can generate AMIs from latest stages and
14 configure their system in whatever fashion they want without bloating there
15 system with pre-generated stages (which have unnecessary packages).
16 - 'rich0' (gentoo-dev Richard Freeman) has very nicely blogged about how
17 to bootstrap Gentoo on EC2
18 [here<http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/gentoo-ec2-tutorial-bootstrapping/>
19 ] which I would be following to write this module up inside of catalyst
20 for which I would be using Python.
21 - User would be expected to provide their AWS related information (like
22 region, key pair).
23
24 Currently, I'll be concentrating on AWS only but would be extending this to
25 Openstack, Virtualbox, DigitalOcean. I have a brief idea about the catalyst
26 module (3.0 branch) and have been following as well as contributing (some
27 minor bug fixes) it from past few months. I'd be really happy to contribute
28 to the gentoo community.
29
30 Please give me your feedback.
31