From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] how to tell catalyst to resolve dependency, dev-perl/xml-parser
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:01:02
1 On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 08:05 -0800, W. Trevor King wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 06:54:28AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 28 December 2013 01:11:08 Brian Dolbec wrote:
4 > > > I don't know if catalyst can do that or not and whether it can
5 > > > detect it to run perl-cleaner.
6 > >
7 > > catalyst certainly could grow code for handling perl-cleaner &
8 > > friends.
9 >
10 > This sounds like a job for Portage and @preserved-rebuild ;). It has
11 > already absorbed revdep-rebuild. Hopefully absorbing perl-cleaner,
12 > python-updater, and similar is just a matter of time :p.
13 >
14 > Cheers,
15 > Trevor
18 No, it didn't absorb revdep-rebuild. It just does early (live)
19 detection.
20
21 Actually, with the new python version of revdep-rebuild, there was talk
22 of it absorbing python-updater and perl-cleaner (also coded in python)
23 as part of it's normal revdep call. Then it would be a one stop call.
24
25 Actually, I think in this case. the original error would have been
26 avoided if the user had used the same snapshot for all stages of the
27 build. stage1 through livecd-*. I believe he/she just grabbed a stage3
28 and a current tree snapshot.
29
30 We could however change catalyst to accept a stage3 and perform an
31 update, perl-cleaner, python-updater, revdep-rebuild,... before
32 commencing with the build process, but I feel that is a step better done
33 by hand. It would also need to wait for catalyst to move to using
34 emerge/portage through the api. From there it could get the list of
35 atoms to be updated and handle any calls on an as needed basis to
36 perl-cleaner, etc.. That would also require me to complete the
37 public_api work I was doing for portage.