From: Mathias Weigt <m.weigt@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:20:24
1 Eric Thibodeau wrote:
2
3 >I would have scanned the mailling list for this but never found the search
4 >engine for it...
5 >
6 >As the title says, I would love to see a Gentoo clustering solution based on
7 >the www.clustermatic.org/www.ltsp.org approach (basically, PXE booted OS). In
8 >fact, work on this would open up Gentoo to both clustering and LTSP usage.
9 >Most of the work that needs to be done, if I am not mistaken, is to create a
10 >Gentoo environment which is NFS bootable as done with LTSP. We could then
11 >"easily" manage the tolls and utilities available on the slave nodes by using
12 >portage. Obviously, there is also some kernel tweaking involved but we can
13 >start from some previous work done in that aera in all cases.
14 >
15 >I am actually asked to build a Gentoo based cluster next semester and I would
16 >definately like to build it to be as flexible and scalable as possible. I
17 >believe that the above approach fits these requirements quite well. So I'm
18 >opened to any suggestions for this project. Obviously, I'll document this and
19 >attempt to make the procedure as accessible to anyone as possible.
20 >
21 I have to setup such a (little) cluster as well and I am very interested
22 in a good documented Gentoo-based procedure.
23
24 Mathias
25 --
26 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list