From: lazar obradovic <laza@××.net>
To: Manish Singh <manish.singh@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o, ocfs2-devel@××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] Re: [Ocfs2-devel] ocfs2-1.0.1 ebuilds
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:23:52
1 Manish Singh wrote:
2
3 >A few comments and questions:
7 Thanks for the feedback.
8
9 >>KEYWORDS="-* ~x86"
13 >Does that mean this is only enabled for x86 platforms? 1.0.x works on
14 >x86_64 and ia64 too.
17 Yes, and it's masked unstable for x86.
18 I was not aware of the fact that it also works on amd64 and ia64 (though
19 I see a lot of *-endian fixups lately), so I'll mark it unstable on
20 those platforms as well.
21 ocfs2 is definitely not working on ppc, ppc64, mips, sparc, alpha or
22 hppa, nor will, in the near future?
23
24 >The glib2 dependency in the tools should not be in the gtk2 option,
25 >since ocfs2cdsl and debug.ocfs2 depend on it too, and they are command
26 >line tools.
27 >
28 Will correct it, thanks.
29
30 >Passing --disable-gtktest in the non-gtk2 case is kind of
31 >silly, since there isn't any test for gtk itself, only pygtk.
34 gtktest broke the emerge of ocfs2-tools and --disable-gtktest seem to work.
35 I'll check the exact reason for it and offer a solution instead of
36 workaround, but until then, it's best if it stays like this.
37
38 >The python binding for VTE is needed for some ocfs2console functionality
39 >(though it does work without it).
42 Thanks for this one too, I'll add VTE to deps list.
43
44 >Why are you using --prefix=/ ?
47 econf is a wrapper around configure script that gives gentoo-defaults of
48 paths to regular configure. Among these, default value for prefix is
49 /usr, so it would break o2cb_ctl (as a workaround, init script could
50 update /proc/sys/fs/ocfs2/nm/hb_ctl_path but I find that dirtier than
51 giving --prefix=/ to econf).
52 On the other hand, this leads to installation of python extensions under
53 /lib, instead of /usr/lib, which is fixed later, during src_install...
54 Confiure's python.m4 should probably be updated to properly detect
55 pyexecdir (or, perhaps, give the option to specify it).
56
57 >It looks like you are still installing a sample cluster.conf. This makes
58 >no sense, there's no sane defaults for it, and putting the sample will
59 >only lead to confusion.
62 Gentoo's config protection will take care of that during the upgrades,
63 and I find templates with bogus data rather useful for a quick
64 first-time configuration... If you insist, I could push the empty config
65 for first-time installs, with commented templates...
66
67 >Replacing the o2cb init script with your own is a bad idea. This makes
68 >the gentoo distribution gratuitiously incompatible with the OCFS2
69 >documentation out there, as well as breaking some ocfs2console
70 >functionality. Please don't do this.
73 As stated in INSTALL.GENTOO:
74
75 ---8<---
76 KNOWN BUGS
77 ==========
78 1. Init script does not have all the functionality as o2cb script
79 ----------------------------------------------------------------
80 I know that, but o2cb script doesn't use "depend" and therefore it's start
81 can't be controlled inside runlevel. I had to rewrite major portions of it
82 to make it gentoo-friendly. o2cb is still available, and if you need
83 additional functionality from /etc/init.d/ocfs2, file a bugreport (see
84 "Reporting Bugs" below).
86
87 That's why Gentoo init script is not called o2cb, but simple ocfs2,
88 since it's not a full replacement. As users request, I'll add parts to
89 ocfs2.init, and untill that, o2cb is still available.
90
91 Once again, thanks for the feedback.
94 LO275-RIPE
97 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list