From: Brady Catherman <bradyc@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "?? la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:55:28
1 My experience with NFS mounted roots is that they can bombard your
2 network with packets. A simple little script can manage to generate
3 enough traffic to actually slow down other services just by hitting
4 tons of services. Plus if you have spoolers and such you end up
5 generating a ton of traffic or memory. The advantage to a local
6 install is that you can cut down on the network traffic drastically.
7 Granted, if your applications are all embarrassingly parallel and
8 don't do a ton of disk IO then NFS root works great.. Many of the
9 applications we use here would utterly destroy the network if run
10 from a NFS mounted root.. The advantage of rebuilding is consistency
11 without the disadvantage of NFS roots.