From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] High-Availability Howto for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:23:47
1 Hi Eric,
2
3 Sorry, forgot to CC the list on this. Here goes...
4
5 On 4/11/06, Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > Mr. Rand(),
7 >
8 > I tend to prone the Diskless approach for the reasons you are mentionning.
9 > You can easily switch between roots with a network boot just by modifying
10 > your dhcp config and rebooting a node. This is really neat since you can have
11 > the dev environment on the actual cluster, test the new root with new libs
12 > and simply reboot some available nodes to test them. Furthermore, this
13 > approach opens the way to having multiple boot profiles with
14 > application-specific orientations (/me is thinking of the hellish deal of
15 > parallel Matlab with a polluted environment and the booting into a really
16 > optimized one for real MPI work ;)...)
17
18 Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind :)
19
20 > As for the "un-ncecessary attacker blahblahblah... Put your head behing the
21 > firewall. Beowulf nodes aren't meant to be publically available if they are
22 > to be efficient. nonetheless, departmental clusters (by night) could aslo be
23 > very possible with the diskless approach
24
25 Sorry, I should have mentioned that my application is load balancing /
26 HA rather than HPC. There will certainly be some very strict firewall
27 rulesets in place, however I do have to deal with serving up user
28 requests. If someone manages to poke a hole in Apache or whatever and
29 gets themself a shell I don't want to give them any tools which might
30 help them along their quest for root.
33 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list