From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:47:45
1 On 5/14/07, Alex Howells <astinus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am
4 > I
5 > > going in the right direction? For the obvious answer: I know it's better
7 > > be closer to the datacenter, but that's not an option for me right now
8 > and I
9 > > know I'll have a remote-hands service, but it can be very time
10 > inefficient
11 > > sometimes and I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.
12 >
13 > Tips:
14 >
15 > * Install decent PDUs in your racks, I'd highly recommend APC
16 > Masterswitch; you're going to want to power cycle various bits of
17 > hardware, and SNMP is an easy way to do it.
18 >
19 > * Some cheap kit (Cisco 2506s) from a distributor or eBay with 4 x
20 > 8-port console cards (32 total) can give you inexpensive access to the
21 > serial line of your nodes, buy a slightly more expensive one for if
22 > you wanna deploy 8 x 8-port or 12 x 8-port.
25 I'll look in to it...
26
27 * Have some kind of rescue environment available over network boot,
28 > it's invaluable for diagnosing H/W problems; you'll probably also want
29 > memtest86+ or equivalent too.
30 >
31 > * Invest in some IP cameras for the suite within the datacenter.
32 > Technicians are often rubbish and don't describe things clearly, it's
33 > a very good idea to be able to say, "Show me!" and also for security
34 > purposes!
37 Good ideia!
38
39 * Write a small database which knows where every node is located
40 > (physical location) and what it's connected to (switch port, PDU port,
41 > console server port); then a bit of software to wrap around that and
42 > you'll have a good level of control over all nodes.
43
44 I'll be doing this using a software called IRM (http://irm.stackworks.net/).
45 It seems to have a good server inventory system.
48 All of the above avoids complications with KVM-over-IP type devices,
49 > most of which come with evil Java applets :( If you go down the Cisco
50 > route, you'll be able to telnet to the 'console server' and access any
51 > of its serial lines, make sure to define ACLs.
52 >
53 > Cheers,
54 > Alex
55 > --