From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] lustre ebuilds
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 01:03:24
1 Thanks Joel!
2
3 I'm looking at the kernel config right now.
4 Is it dangerous to change some of the kernel config options?
5 Are there specific options that the lustre patches depend on?
6 For example, since I'll be running this on a box with interactive graphics, I'd like to
7 change the Preemption Model to "Preemptible Kernel".
8
9 -bryan
10
11 Joel Martin writes:
12 >
13 > Bryan et all,
14 >
15 > Here is a tarball of the relevant part of my overlay:
16 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~kanaka/files/lustre-1.5.91-overlay.tgz
17 >
18 > There are two ebuilds:
19 > - lustre-sources-2.6.15 which is lustre patches against 2.6.15 vanilla
20 > kernel.
21 > - lustre-1.5.91 which is the lustre kernel modules and user spaces
22 > utilities. There is fetch restricted to match CFS's desires so you
23 > will need to go to their download page to download the package.
24 >
25 > Note that currently this only supports amd64. Unfortunately, the
26 > lustre modules/utilities package wants a lusterized kernel tree that
27 > has at least had headers/scripts built. Therefore, in the
28 > lustre-sources/files directory, there is a fairly generic amd64 kernel
29 > config that is used to do this before the sources are installed. So to
30 > support other arches, you will need to create a generic kernel config
31 > for that arch.
32 >
33 > I've used these to build, boot and mount a Lustre file-system from
34 > a client perspective. I was using gcc-3.4.4 on an Opteron system. I've
35 > heard gcc-4.X and Lustre have issues, but I've not had a chance to
36 > test this.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Joel Martin (kanaka)