From: Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] openmosix
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:57:27
1 I've deployed openmosix in several academic and industry environments.
2 It has worked very well in those cases, with efficient dynamic load
3 balancing and transparent process migration.
4 This is for the 2.4 kernel series, which is the stable release as of
5 yet. The tools work very well for that and the setups require very
6 little maintainance and have uptimes that are only limited by
7 hardware failures, machine relocations, and other such hassles of
8 divine nature. Although I have actually managed to hot swap machines
9 in running clusters, even servers on a few occasions.
10 I have not tried the 2.6 series yet, since I trust the developers when
11 they say it is not stable release yet.
12
13 If you can live with the 2.4 kernel series then openmosix is excellent
14 in a wide range of application environments.
15 Otherwise there are some other alternatives that I know of:
16 openmosix.org
17 kerrighed.org
18 openssi.eu
19 All have strengths and weaknesses. OpenMosix was the most suitable for
20 the use cases I've encountered
21
22 Harebrafolk
23 Jimmy Rosen