From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:17:49
1 Hello all,
2
3 I am looking for something of a survey of examples of Gentoo-driven clusters
4 out there. If such a survey has been done, perhaps someone point me to it.
5 But I would like to hear from others on the list about their clusters.
6
7 I am in the process of advocating for using Gentoo on a new cluster that we
8 will be building. The cluster will be a "hyperwall", meaning that each node
9 will have graphics, forming a grid of displays for multi-parameter,
10 multi-dimensional scientific visualization. There will also be several disk
11 servers which will run Suse in order to get Lustre support (Lustre support
12 on the client side will be OS-neutral when the current beta is officially
13 released). In addition to graphics, the nodes will also be used for compute
14 jobs (scientific), and may serve as a testbed for a production scientific
15 computing environment.
16
17 In the process of making my case, I've been asked what other examples there
18 are of large Gentoo clusters. This cluster will be 128 nodes (dual socket,
19 dual or quad core). Of particular interest are production and/or scientific
20 environments - not so much database clusters, though all examples are of
21 interest. Use of MPI is particularly relevant. Graphics clusters are also
22 of interest of course.
23
24 I'd be grateful for any feedback I get from others on the list about the
25 clusters they maintain or use, and perhaps some comments about the efficacy
26 of Gentoo in an environment where stability is very important, and how
27 system administration compares to administration of a Suse or Redhat cluster.
28
29 Thanks,
30 -bryan
33 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list