From: Brandon Edens <brandon@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Install on a headless XServe?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:32:23
1 On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:22:56AM -0800, Brady Catherman wrote:
2
3 > About the easiest way to get Linux installed on a headless node
4 > though is to find another PPC system you are willing to spare for a
5 > bit, boot the XServe into Firewire mode, and then install that way.
6 > The Xserve gives you complete access to its internal drive so you
7 > just mount it like normal.. its pretty slick and works really well.
8
9 Wow, thanks for the information.
10
11 I was going to go the remote ssh install route but the firewire mode will work
12 great.
13
14 > Yaboot works great on systems with monitors but fails on headless
15 > nodes. You have to use the serial console to boot the system (open
16 > the serial console, and run "boot hd:,\\yaboot"
17
18 I'm alittle concerned about the yaboot situation. I'll have to try to get that
19 resolved as this machine is held in a cabinet with others and is acting as a
20 sort of demonstration of Linux stability/reliability.
21
22 > Apple gets "jumpy" when you tell them that you are thinking about
23 > converting your cluster from Mac OS to Linux =)
24
25 As they should be. One of the reasons for exploring Gentoo on Xserves is that
26 we've had no shortage of problems with OS X server reliability. I've seen
27 everything from random machine lockups to segfaults when using cp -rp (and
28 slapcat). I'm also alittle troubled by the OS X upgrade process (not to mention
29 the costs). Remote maintenance is also an issue. Its unfortunate that Apple did
30 not provide a better collection of command-line tools (adding users comes to
31 mind). Rant finished.
32
33 > Either today or tomorrow I should have our final benchmark results
34 > comparing MacOS to Gentoo PPC64 on our 32 node XServe cluster..
35 > When I get everything up and running I will let you know =)
36
37 Definitely pass along the benchmarks. I'm fascinating by those sorts of things.
38 I heard some amazing things the other day about PPC64 performance. I also was a
39 bit concerned by that article disclosing MySQL performance problems on OS X.
40
41 Thanks a lot,
42 Brandon Edens