From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 03:50:47
1 Bryan Green wrote:
2 > Yes, I actually used those ebuilds to test Lustre on our "mini" 3x3
3 > hyperwall which runs Gentoo. I was able to get it working, but over here
4 > they want the supported, released version, whereas those ebuilds are for the
5 > beta. I tried to install the released version, but eventually ran into
6 > problems. Also, since getting support from CFS is a requirement, that
7 > restricts the OS choice to specific versions of Suse or Redhat.
8
9 I guess that means we should get in touch with them to get on the
10 supported systems list. =)
11
12 > I'd very interested in the different approaches here. I had thought about a
13 > static portage tree, but that left the problem of getting needed updates,
14 > especially GLSA's. Your suggested approach sounds very interesting.
15 > How big of an extra administrative burden does that create? Maintaining our
16 > own version controlled portage tree might be a hard sell. Thanks for the
17 > script - I'll take a look at it. Is there any documentation out there about
18 > a static portage tree?
19
20 The OSL (Open Source Lab), which hosts much of the Gentoo infrastructure
21 and runs a lot of other projects on Gentoo boxes, takes a similar
22 approach to what I mentioned above. I think you already know Corey
23 Shields, so you could ask him about it.
24
25 You may also want to take a look at
26 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/43984 -- it's from one
27 of our developers who's deployed fairly decent-sized clusters.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Donnie
31 --