From: Patrick Benoit <ppbenoit@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:20:17
1 emerge sys-boot/syslinux will provide everythings PXE boot needs on server
2 side along with dhcp and tftp (not ftp).
3
4 Be carefull with old version (prior 1.6 or better 2.0) of PXE boot ROM on
5 NICs cards because they may not boot properly.
8 ----- Original Message -----
9 From: "Eric Thibodeau" <kyron@××××××××.com>
10 To: <gentoo-cluster@l.g.o>
11 Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 2:59 PM
12 Subject: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE
13 booted nodes)
16 >I would have scanned the mailling list for this but never found the search
17 > engine for it...
18 >
19 > As the title says, I would love to see a Gentoo clustering solution based
20 > on
21 > the www.clustermatic.org/www.ltsp.org approach (basically, PXE booted OS).
22 > In
23 > fact, work on this would open up Gentoo to both clustering and LTSP usage.
24 > Most of the work that needs to be done, if I am not mistaken, is to create
25 > a
26 > Gentoo environment which is NFS bootable as done with LTSP. We could then
27 > "easily" manage the tolls and utilities available on the slave nodes by
28 > using
29 > portage. Obviously, there is also some kernel tweaking involved but we can
30 > start from some previous work done in that aera in all cases.
31 >
32 > I am actually asked to build a Gentoo based cluster next semester and I
33 > would
34 > definately like to build it to be as flexible and scalable as possible. I
35 > believe that the above approach fits these requirements quite well. So I'm
36 > opened to any suggestions for this project. Obviously, I'll document this
37 > and
38 > attempt to make the procedure as accessible to anyone as possible.
39 >
40 > Future work would probably be to seamlessly integrate OpenPBS into such a
41 > PXE-able environment to enable it to reboot/configure nodes as required
42 > for
43 > given tasks/profiles.
44 >
45 > Thanks,