From: Michael Marineau <marineam@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Performance problems with domU on drbd
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:40:43
1 On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Reto Gantenbein
2 <reto.gantenbein@××××××××.ch> wrote:
3 > Hello everybody
4 >
5 > After 3 days messing around I'm at my wits' end. I have two Sun X4200M2
6 > servers which I would like to setup as Xen dom0s with a drbd-mirrored
7 > file system for paravirtualized domU images.
8 >
9 > I setup an LVM2 on top of DRBD to create the domU volumes and to be able
10 > to backup the domUs with LVM snapshot.
11 >
12 > I was able to configure this setup and make it run, but when accessing
13 > the block-frontend device in domU this is terrible slow. E.g. copying a
14 > 5G file via scp and gigabit Ethernet onto the domU leads to a lot of
15 > stalls during transfer. The peak transfer rate is about 5MB/s every 1-2
16 > minutes but generally it's about a few hundred KB/s. When copying the
17 > same file onto the DRBD volume mounted directly in dom0 it works with
18 > the expected 30-40MB/s. Another test was to sync the portage tree but
19 > also this takes maybe about 20 minutes or spontaneously raises some
20 > timeout errors. Sometimes after a while the disk fully detaches from the
21 > domU, so every call of a binary in domU leads to a "Input/output error".
22 > I guess the domU kernel adds this troubles, but why? There are no
23 > statements in any log files. E.g. /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log doesn't
24 > notify the detached block device.
25 >
26 > I use Gentoo Linux and tried so far with xen-3.1.2 and xen-3.2.0,
27 > xen-sources-2.6.18-r8, xen-sources-2.6.20-r6 and xen-sources-2.6.22,
28 > drbd-8.0.7, drbd-8.0.8 and drbd-8.0.11.
29 >
30 > The longer the more I expect a general problem with Xen and this setup,
31 > a kernel problem or a misconfiguration. Attached are the most important
32 > configurations for this setup.
33 >
34 > Are there any hints or other experiences for such a setup? All ideas are
35 > welcome.
36 >
37 > Thanks for reading and giving any hints...
38 > Cheers Reto Gantenbein
39
40 I couldn't quite tell from the above but do you see the bad
41 performance inside domU only when using scp/rsync or is it just as
42 slow when you copy files locally?
45 Michael Marineau
46 Oregon State University
47 mike@××××××××.org