From: Adam Carheden <carheden@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] PGI Compiles
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:57:25
1 Okay, I e-mailed PGI and got the response below. Dave from PGI sent me a
2 license (which I have omitted since this is a public mailing list).
3 Anyone know who to contact a Gentoo about this? Do I just file a bug?
7 == PGI's reply below ==
8 Adam,
9
10 Thanks for the mail. I have attached a temp license so you can start
11 trying the compilers now, without the timeout code we add with eval
12 licenses.
13
14 We would appreciate anyone who wants to attempt compiling Gentoo, and
15 get some advance word on problems, which we are sure will arise. It may be
16 that some of the gcc extensions are problematic, but we have
17 implemented most of them.
18 Until management decides what to do, feel free to report what you
19 have learned
20 about our compilers.
21 regards,
22 dave
25 Adam Carheden wrote:
26
27 > Dear PGI Sales,
28 >
29 > I support a few research groups on campus at Colorado State
30 University. We use PGI Server to compile the software we develop, as
31 well as for various supporting libraries, such as HDF5, NetCDF, etc. I
32 use the Gentoo Linux distribution because Gentoo makes it easier to
33 compile libraries with a compiler of my choice and still us the
34 distribution's package system.
35 >
36 > Unfortunately, PGI isn't a part of Gentoo's package system because
37 the Gentoo developers don't own a copy. I have my own custom extensions
38 to Portage, Gentoo's package system, to support using PGI. It would save
39 me (and probably many other users) a lot of time if the Gentoo
40 developers could support PGI naively.
41 >
42 > Would your company consider donating a license of PGI Server to the
43 Gentoo project so they can better support your product for users like
44 myself? If so, who can I contact at PGI about this?
45 >
46 > Thanks
47
48 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
49 > Adam Carheden wrote:
50 >
51 >> Does anyone else out there use the PGI compilers, especially the
52 >> fortran compiler (pgf90)? Some packages (like netcdf) support it in
53 >> the ebuild, but it would be really nice to be able to use it by
54 >> default. The trick is adding it to the fortran eclass. I've got a
55 >> custom version of the fortran eclass in my overlay, but I also have to
56 >> make a copy of the package I want to use in my overlay and add pgf90
57 >> to the list. Easier with Gentoo than other distros, but still a bit of
58 >> a haste.
59 >>
60 >> Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know if the devs have
61 >> a good reason not to include pgi in portage or if they just haven't
62 >> got around to it?
65 > I would be happy to create an ebuild if someone buys Gentoo a license.
66 > But the more general solution that needs to happen is for fortran.eclass
67 > to get a way to override the known-working compiler list in ebuilds.
68 >
69 > Thanks,
70 > Donnie
73 Adam Carheden