From: Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:11:22
1 All you need to setup PXE is the tftp and dhcp packages. And of
2 coarse, machines that will support net boot.
3
4 -Jared
5
6 On 11/17/05, Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > I would have scanned the mailling list for this but never found the search
8 > engine for it...
9 >
10 > As the title says, I would love to see a Gentoo clustering solution based on
11 > the www.clustermatic.org/www.ltsp.org approach (basically, PXE booted OS). In
12 > fact, work on this would open up Gentoo to both clustering and LTSP usage.
13 > Most of the work that needs to be done, if I am not mistaken, is to create a
14 > Gentoo environment which is NFS bootable as done with LTSP. We could then
15 > "easily" manage the tolls and utilities available on the slave nodes by using
16 > portage. Obviously, there is also some kernel tweaking involved but we can
17 > start from some previous work done in that aera in all cases.
18 >
19 > I am actually asked to build a Gentoo based cluster next semester and I would
20 > definately like to build it to be as flexible and scalable as possible. I
21 > believe that the above approach fits these requirements quite well. So I'm
22 > opened to any suggestions for this project. Obviously, I'll document this and
23 > attempt to make the procedure as accessible to anyone as possible.
24 >
25 > Future work would probably be to seamlessly integrate OpenPBS into such a
26 > PXE-able environment to enable it to reboot/configure nodes as required for
27 > given tasks/profiles.
28 >
29 > Thanks,
30 >