From: Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:55:38
1 Hi Bryan,
2
3 I run a start up which provides Gentoo based clusters for a wide variety of
4 applications. I find it far simpler to maintain and run Gentoo, portage
5 simplifies maintenance so much.
6
7 The cluster will be a "hyperwall", meaning that each node
8 > > will have graphics, forming a grid of displays for multi-parameter,
9 > > multi-dimensional scientific visualization.
12 Sounds fascinating I do hope you will report how it goes and what method
13 you use to achieve this.
14
15 the nodes will also be used for compute
16 > > jobs (scientific), and may serve as a testbed for a production
17 > scientific
18 > > computing environment.
21 In my experience MPI works very well on Gentoo.
22
23 > I'd be grateful for any feedback I get from others on the list about the
24 > > clusters they maintain or use, and perhaps some comments about the
25 > efficacy
26 > > of Gentoo in an environment where stability is very important, and how
27 > > system administration compares to administration of a Suse or Redhat
28 > cluster.
31 I always find sys admin far easier with Gentoo, but wrt clusters I think
32 architecture of the cluster is as important as the OS, I always recommend
33 diskless although local disks for replication etc. are fine, but by keeping
34 the important parts centrally and providing an image for the nodes to boot
35 the chance of stray mistakes is reduced. This also allows you to improve
36 stability by testing a new image on one node before deploying across the
37 cluster.
38
39 KlustOS (our OS) which is Gentoo based has been designed to scale to
40 hundreds if not thousands of nodes and I believe Gentoo is more than capable
41 of running large production clusters stably. Donnie's advice about security
42 updates in combination with a testing image is useful as well.
43
44 Hanni
47 E-mail: hanni.ali@×××××.com
48 Mobile: 07985580147