From: Bryan Green <bryan.d.green@××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] openib, no /dev/infiniband
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:13:35
1 "Brian Budge" writes:
2 >
3 > Hi all -
4 >
5 > I'm new to infiniband and still getting my feet wet. I am admining a very
6 > small cluster of 5 nodes, and have recently installed infiniband HCAs. I
7 > have the infiniband modules built into the kernel, and I am using the
8 > openib-userspace package in the gentoo-science overlay.
9 >
10 > The strange thing with my situation is that I have infiniband working with
11 > openmpi on 4 of my 5 nodes, but the 5th one is a mystery.
12 >
13 > All 4 working nodes have a /dev/infiniband directory that look roughly like
14 > this:
15 >
16 > crw-rw---- 1 root root 231, 64 Dec 31 09:13 issm0
17 > crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231, 224 Dec 31 09:13 ucm0
18 > crw-rw---- 1 root root 231, 0 Dec 31 09:13 umad0
19 > crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231, 192 Dec 31 09:13 uverbs0
22 > But the 5th node doesn't, which could indicate the problem (it isn't
23 > completely the problem, as I tried making those nodes myself to match, but
24 > it doesn't help). I'm just not sure what the difference is, because I
25 > installed them all the same way, they all have the same hardware, and they
26 > are all running the same kernel.
27
28 The '/dev/infiniband' subdir is created by the udev rules in '/etc/udev/rules.d/40-ib.rules'
29
30 Does the '/sys/class/infiniband' directory exist?
31 If so, what does it contain? What loaded modules with an 'ib_' prefix does
32 lsmod report?
33
34 -bryan
37 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list