From: Justin Bronder <jsbronder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo vs RedHat cluster
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:06:05
1 On 4/13/06, Brady Catherman <bradyc@××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > For our Mac OS run I was able to work with Apple to get performance
4 > numbers up. Mac OS started much, much slower than Linux and failed to
5 > scale at all. One of the Apple engineers emailed with several
6 > recommendations to improve performance. The biggest was to not use
7 > Mpich 1. Once I compiled against Mpich 2 everything went much faster
8 > on the Apple side of things.
11 There's one thing I had better try out then, we were just talking about
12 potentially upgrading recently and decided against it as the Myrinet-GM
13 implementation of Mpich was built against 1.2.6.
14
15 Anyways, the Apple run of HPL was compiled against the Accelerate
16 > framework while the Gentoo side was compiled against the most recent
17 > Goto libraries (in January 2006). The Apple side was compiled with a
18 > custom version of GCC 4.0.2 (XCode doesn't come with fortran) and the
19 > Linux side was compiled with GCC 4.0.2 from Gentoo's ebuild.
20 >
21 > I may have made it harder for myself in that I compiled a 64 bit
22 > kernel and 64 bit platform.
23 >
24 > Our setup is XServe G5's 2.3GHz with 4GB of RAM, running form a local
25 > 80GB SATA hard drive. At the time we just had a simple GigE
26 > connection between nodes. Not we have a GigE based FNN.
29 Same basic setup here except the majority of our G5's are 2Ghz with 2G of
30 RAM.
31 We used the IBM xlf compiler and Goto's libraries in OS X and development
32 ATLAS 3.7.11 (development for G5 support), gcc is version 3.4.4 in Gentoo
33 and Debian.
34
35 The Gentoo image is true 64-bit whereas the Debian is 64-bit kernel and
36 32-bit
37 userland. Gentoo ends up with a tiny advantage here so far, but we've only
38 tested across 8 nodes, so I wouldn't really count the results yet.
39
40 Hopefully we'll get our new netbooter up and working soon and I'll run some
41 more comparisons across a much larger set of nodes.
42
43 Thanks,
44
45 Justin Bronder
46 University of Maine
47 ACRL
48
49 with gcc
50
51 > What environment was your partner using?