From: Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Cc: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:11:19
1 On Thursday 17 November 2005 14.59, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
2 > I would have scanned the mailling list for this but never found the
3 > search engine for it...
4 >
5 > As the title says, I would love to see a Gentoo clustering solution
6 > based on the www.clustermatic.org/www.ltsp.org approach (basically,
7 > PXE booted OS). In fact, work on this would open up Gentoo to both
8 > clustering and LTSP usage. Most of the work that needs to be done,
9 > if I am not mistaken, is to create a Gentoo environment which is
10 > NFS bootable as done with LTSP. We could then "easily" manage the
11 > tolls and utilities available on the slave nodes by using portage.
12 > Obviously, there is also some kernel tweaking involved but we can
13 > start from some previous work done in that aera in all cases.
14 >
15 > I am actually asked to build a Gentoo based cluster next semester
16 > and I would definately like to build it to be as flexible and
17 > scalable as possible. I believe that the above approach fits these
18 > requirements quite well. So I'm opened to any suggestions for this
19 > project. Obviously, I'll document this and attempt to make the
20 > procedure as accessible to anyone as possible.
21 >
22 > Future work would probably be to seamlessly integrate OpenPBS into
23 > such a PXE-able environment to enable it to reboot/configure nodes
24 > as required for given tasks/profiles.
25 >
26 > Thanks,
27 >
28 > Eric Thibodeau
32 Hello folks
33
34 This is actually quite doable with gentoo, and not too hard I might
35 add. I'm surely no gentoo/linux-wiz, and I have banged together
36 something like this. I have built several different clusters by the
37 setup since 2002 and it seems to work ok.
38
39 SSI: single system image. All servers and nodes run off the shared
40 root image, no problem with local installs and duplicating binaries.
41
42 Diskless boot: all nodes can boot diskless over pxe => dhcp => tftp =>
43 nfs
44
45 Root over nfs: just one file system tree, nothing on diskless nodes.
46 Swap, and local tmp storage on nodes that have disks.
47
48 Openmosix, mpi, pvm, gridengine, custom batch queues etc for the
49 clustering. The apps I write usually use fork and forget over
50 OpenMosix. It's just soooo simple.
51
52 And since openmosix helps with load balancing you can use the nodes as
53 regular workstations as well. I wouldn't recommend using the servers
54 as workstations for stability reasons, even if it is possible. My own
55 constant pre-alpha test cluster runs from whatever I happend to have
56 available, and is home-based on my workstation. But my production
57 clusters have dedicated servers.
58
59 A nice side effect is that most if not all of the system is somewhat
60 hot-swappable. I can even swap the servers on a running cluster, with
61 some restrictions. Yes I know it sounds crazy, but I've done it
62 successfully several times.
63
64 No duplicate system trees and binaries, just tweak with
65 selective /etc/init.d scripts and such.
66
67 A few init.d scripts has to be slightly changed from the gentoo
68 originals, along with /sbin/rc and /sbin/functions.sh.
69 The nodes can have different config files. But that is a very minor
70 overhead.
73 I have posted on this topic before, but there hasn't been much
74 interest. If you want to try it then contact me and I'll see if I can
75 whip up a quick terse description. Then we can flesh it out as we go.
76 But I don't have time to actually write something nice for quite a
77 while, unfortunately.
78
79 Harebrafolk
80 Jimmy