From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:39:43
1 John R. Dunning wrote:
2 > From: Bryan Green <bgreen@××××××××.gov>
3 > A longer term solution is to do some combination of remodularizing vfs and
4 > recasting the lustre stuff so as to depend less on getting its fingers into
5 > the guts. I once spent some time looking into that, and I do believe it's
6 > possible, but it would take some work, and would really need to be done in
7 > concert with the rest of the core kernel guys, and I ran out of time to pursue
8 > it. In the meantime, the more the gentoo community can resist the temptation
9 > to patch the kernel (at least the vfs parts of it), the easier it will be to
10 > add lustre.
11
12 > Based on what you've said, I wouldn't fool around with SLES, I'd just figure
13 > out what close-to-vanilla kernel you want to start from (picking one you think
14 > you can live with for a while) and do some part of what I described above.
15 > You might have a somewhat easier time of it if you started with 2.6.18, as I
16 > believe there's a cfs-supplied patchset for that one. If you want to start
17 > from a gentoo 2.6.18 one, I suspect your task will be to start with vanilla,
18 > make that work, then work out how to re-apply the gentoo patches. Re getting
19 > cfs to help, my bet would be that you'll have an easier time getting the
20 > gentoo community to create patches that are amenable to going on top of a
21 > lustre-ized vanilla kernel (and relying on cfs to support vanilla kernels)
22 > than you will getting cfs to generate patches to go on top of gentoo. If you
23 > watch the lustre lists, you'll see more people asking for vanilla than are
24 > asking for gentoo.
25
26 I've just got a couple comments on this.
27
28 * The gentoo-sources patches are almost all upstream and based on the
29 W.X.Y.Z "stable release" patchsets, except for 2-3 cases that probably
30 aren't relevant to clusters. As a result, Gentoo folks would be
31 reasonably well off just running vanilla-sources, which groups them in
32 with everyone else wanting Lustre on a vanilla kernel.
33
34 * Normally I would recommend hardened-sources for anything resembling a
35 server, but you should have all your nodes and file servers blocked off
36 from the Internet anyway so that's a non-issue.
37
38 Thanks,
39 Donnie