From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:26:57
1 Le 17 Novembre 2005 09:30, Donnie Berkholz a écrit :
2 > I set up an NFS-root, PXE-boot cluster about a year ago. I can try to
3 > put my notes together into something usable as a doc, if you'd like.
4
5 I am definately interested in any documentation/pointers that could help
6 me get a PXE bootable Gentoo root going.
7
8 > The basic idea I used was to maintain a couple of ROOT=/foo environments
9 > on the master server: one for the NFS root, and one smaller one with
10 > just busybox and a kernel to create an initrd for each node.
11
12 The way I see it, multiple Gentoo roots would be available (different
13 machine profiles/optimisation) and they would be specified in the DHCP server's
14 config file as simply as any PXE entry.... So I am not too sure I
15 understand your "couple of ROOT=/foo" _and_ the busybox one...
16
17 > The ROOT approach is far superior to what's promoted in the NFS root
18 > Gentoo doc, because it allows for a maintainable and differentiated node
19 > system rather than just copying straight from the master's root fs.
20
21 Didn't know/find such a document specific to Gentoo!....Google to the
22 rescue, I skipped through http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml
23 and I agree that the copying of the master's environment is definately not
24 the approach I would take. But, from what I read, it should be fairly easy
25 to modify the procedure simply to point to a root that is an independant
26 Gentoo tree, into which we can chroot (...limited to compatible arches of
27 course...) and manage the installed packages from there (portage tree
28 could be loop-mounted to avoid duplicating it).
29
30 Thanks for the info, I'll read the diskless-howto (I presently run LTSP)
31 and see how well it applies.
32
33 Eric Thibodeau
36 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list