From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: Stepping back from council duties
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:45:42
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ferris McCormick wrote:
5 > On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:04:58 +0100
6 > Torsten Veller <tove@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 >> * Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>:
9 >>> Since Cardoe was the last person from the council vote with a
10 >>> distribution that's anywhere between "more positive than negative" and
11 >>> "even", I suggest that we leave the remaining spot open rather than
12 >>> filling it with someone who the majority of developers ranked in the
13 >>> bottom half of candidates.
14 >> The "bottom half" depends somehow on the number of candidates.
17 Torsten,
18
19 Donnie is talking here about the relative votes each candidate received
20 and not about the rank of a candidate in relation to others.
21
22 >> This is the ranked list:
23 >> | 1 dberkholz
24 >> | 2 Halcy0n
25 >> | 3 Flameeyes
26 >> | 4 Betelgeuse
27 >> | 5 lu_zero
28 >> | 6 Jokey
29 >> | 7 dertobi123
30 >> | 8 cardoe
31 >> | 9 dev-zero
32 >> | 10 leio
33 >> | 11 welp
34 >> | 12 fmccor
35 >> | 13 ulm
36 >> | 14 jer
37 >> | 15 hkBst
38 >> | 16 astinus
39 >> | 17 ferdy peper
40 >> | 18 zlin
41 >>
42 >> What is the bottom half?
43 >>
44 >> By ranks:
45 >> 1-9 is the first half, and 10-18 the second.
46 >>
47 >> Or did you already remove rank 18?
50 It doesn't matter if there were 18, 15 or 100 candidates in the ballot.
51 What matters is the distribution of votes.
52
53 >> | * Whenever a member of the Council loses their position (the reason is
54 >> | irrelevant; they could be booted for slacking or they resign or ...), then
55 >> | the next person in line from the previous Council election is offered the
56 >> | position. If they decline, it is offered to the next person in line, and so
57 >> | forth. If they accept and the current Council unanimously accepts the new
58 >> | person, they get the position with a 'reduced' term such that the yearly
59 >> | elections still elect a full group. If the Council does not accept that
60 >> | person, then a new election is held to choose a new member.
61 >> <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20070208-summary.txt>
62 >>
63 >> So your options are:
64 >> - Change the rules once again. Because you can.
65 >> - Follow the rules.
66 >>
67 > Based on that, it looks like the alternative to moving further down the
68 > list is to hold an election for the open spot. That seems more
69 > reasonable than leaving it open because the next election is several
70 > months away. And something might come along that needs a tie breaker
71 > vote.
72
73 I agree with Ferris. This election could be done with the "reduced"
74 timelines (that we should really start considering as the default
75 timelines) of 15 days to nominate + 15 days to vote.
76
77 > By the way, the final ranking only shows an ordering by preference. It
78 > does not say anything about whether or not the developer community
79 > would not want any of these candidates as council members.
80 >
81 > While we are at it, please remove my name from the list no matter how
82 > this gets decided. As a trustee, I am now not allowed to sit on Council
83
84 Ferris,
85
86 there's no need to remove your name from the list or anyone else's for
87 the matter. Those were the names in the ballot and the order of the
88 votes, if we are (were?) to move down the list, we would need to check
89 whether the next person would still qualify as a council member or not.
90
91 > Regards,
92 > Ferris
93 >
94 > --
95 > Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
96 > Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)
97
98 - --
99 Regards,
100
101 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
102 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE