From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>, Markus Ullmann <jokey@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Retirement of slacking peeps
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:43:06
1 On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Mike Doty wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > On 12:15 Tue 15 Jan , Markus Ullmann wrote:
4 > >> our retirement folks brought up a discussion about retiring people that
5 > >> do a small amount of commits (1-2 mostly) right before the 60 day period
6 > >> ends so they stay active yet are effectively slacking.
7 > >>
8 > >> I gave a starting idea to change the minimum amount to something like
9 > >> $count of fixed bugs per month for ebuild developers. As we have enough
10 > >> bugs that are trivial to fix this shouldn't be a real problem at the
11 > >> moment (considering we have ~6.5k bugs open excluding
12 > >> maintainer-wanted).
13 > >
14 > > I don't see a good reason to turn away any amount of help, and I don't
15 > > think we should ever forcibly retire developers because of inactivity.
16 > > If we let them stay developers, they might continue contributing a few
17 > > fixes we wouldn't otherwise get, or they may become more active again in
18 > > the future. Developers are valuable people, and a lot of time has gone
19 > > into their training and experience.
20 > >
21 > > Do I think we should reassign their packages after a while, if they need
22 > > love? Sure.
23 > >
24 > > Do I think we should remove them from roles besides "ebuild developer"?
25 > > Sure.
26 >
27 > How about calling them inactive. infra will remove cvs/svn/git access
28 > and when they have time to contribute to a manner that we expect that
29 > access can be restored.
30 >
31 > Know that infra is/has been planning to automatically disable
32 > cvs/svn/git access for those who haven't committed in some time period
33 > (2 months is the current idea)
34
35 the timeframe should follow whatever devrel is using (which i think is longer
36 than 2 months)
37 -mike