From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev] Council size & terms [WAS] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:37:59
On 18:23 Thu 22 Jan     , Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > Discuss on-list before meeting > > --------------------------------------- > > - Council meta stuff (-council) > > - Can the size change? Minimum? Maximum? > > - Should we have 2-year staggered terms? > > I'm in favor of a fixed size of council members, I'd like to see at > least 5 council members *if* developers want to change the size.
What is your reasoning for this?
> I dislike the idea of stretched 2-year terms, instead I prefer having > 1-year staggered terms (voting every 6 months and replace 3 or 4 > council members). This would allow to put open council slots into the > next election, we wouldn't need to hold extra elections for open slots > then.
As I mentioned on the -council voting thread, I am concerned about a constant influx of new members every 6 months making it very difficult to make any progress. Do you think that won't be a problem? If so, what makes you think that?
> Anyways, this is something we can discuss - but as a change to the > voting procedure most likely does change or extend what's written down > in GLEP 39 I'd like to see a election on those changes.
I'm assuming you mean a vote by all Gentoo devs, since an election generally involves voting for a person rather than a policy. Just as a point of reference, the council has voted to change GLEP 39 in the past. I definitely feel that we need to hold this discussion publicly and get input from everyone. I think the council should then take all this input into consideration and vote upon it. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Developer, Gentoo Linux Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com