From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Markus Ullmann <jokey@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Retirement of slacking peeps
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:15:48
On 12:15 Tue 15 Jan     , Markus Ullmann wrote:
> Hi guys, > > our retirement folks brought up a discussion about retiring people that > do a small amount of commits (1-2 mostly) right before the 60 day period > ends so they stay active yet are effectively slacking. > > I gave a starting idea to change the minimum amount to something like > $count of fixed bugs per month for ebuild developers. As we have enough > bugs that are trivial to fix this shouldn't be a real problem at the moment > (considering we have ~6.5k bugs open excluding maintainer-wanted).
I don't see a good reason to turn away any amount of help, and I don't think we should ever forcibly retire developers because of inactivity. If we let them stay developers, they might continue contributing a few fixes we wouldn't otherwise get, or they may become more active again in the future. Developers are valuable people, and a lot of time has gone into their training and experience. Do I think we should reassign their packages after a while, if they need love? Sure. Do I think we should remove them from roles besides "ebuild developer"? Sure. Thanks, Donnie -- gentoo-council@l.g.o mailing list