From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:48:13
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
> It's doable. It's just that all mtimes being preserved is clearly wrong > for the 1 Jan 1970 cases.
Not if you reset mtimes at unpacking, but:
> * Changing mtimes on source trees is likely problematic with autotooled >  packages.
Good point, I wasn't thinking of that.
> Thus, I would let EAPI 4 ebuilds call dopreservemtimes (with an API > similar to docompress) in both src_install and pkg_preinst. Doing so > would instruct the package manager that it must preserve mtimes > (including subsecond, if supported on the filesystem) for a particular > set of paths, even if doing so means no stripping etc. All other mtimes > may be rewritten as the package manager sees fit, and from EAPI 4 > onwards must be rewritten at merge time for anything predating the > start of the build.
Thanks for your input. That would work for me although I would prefer if the stripping and such things were kept automatic in order to try and maintain QA at a reasonable level. Denis.