From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Amending GLEP39
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:07:46
1 Roy,
2
3 > Gentoo is not a real democracy. The elected council have just had their
4 > mandate created - they have not even met once yet.
5 > Let them use it.
6 >
7 > Most developers won't care. Look at the turnout for the council
8 > election.
9 >
10 > Developers that do care can lobby the council prior to any vote then
11 > council can vote taking into account any lobbying.
12 >
13 > Lets not pretend that we can keep everyone happy - we are all wise
14 > enough to know thats not true, so lets not even try and lets not put
15 > any more effort into fixing the slackers and proxies parts of GLEP 39
16 > than we really need to.
17 >
18 > The difference is between the mathematical precision of a referendum
19 > and being close enough for all practical purposes.
20
21 I totally agree with all of this. I proposed the unanimity rule
22 because I know some council members strongly think that any change to
23 GLEP39 requires a vote by all developers. And I figured they might be
24 willing to accept a unanimous council decision instead. Now, if they
25 can be convinced that a super- or simple majority vote is enough then
26 I'm all for it.
27