From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] CoC: informal enforcement
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:25:45
On 20:21 Thu 14 Feb     , Roy Bamford wrote:
> Reply privately or in channel for all to see? > > Privately is definitely best, as long as there is time for the CoC > offender to see it and think. However, that's also only ever reactive, > to a single individual at a time. > > On the forums, I would use a PM for such messages unless I needed to > calm a thread, when I would make a general post, pointing out the poor > conduct but not naming an individual. On IRC I would post in channel as > you can never be sure a user reads a /query. > > Are you aiming to address tantrums, long term poor conduct, or both? > The first needs a short sharp shock - delivered at the time of the > incident or it loses its effectiveness, the latter can respond to a > slower more drawn out process.
Those are good points. My biggest concern is long-term conduct. I wish we had some way to get data on how many people actually get emailed privately vs on-list. I think that emailing people off-list is the safest approach. The problem with it is that it doesn't show anyone else reading the list what is unacceptable behavior. Emailing people on-list is riskier, because it can humiliate them to some extent, but it does have the benefit of publicly teaching people the standards of our project. What do you think of that? Thanks, Donnie -- gentoo-council@l.g.o mailing list