From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Cc: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Resolve unfinished GLEP 39 business
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:26:53
1 On Friday 11 September 2009 20:38:55 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > i still dont see what is wrong with the amendment process that has been
4 > > used multiple times in the past
5 > [...]
6 > > council members are *voted in* because the community *trusts them to make
7 > > the important decisions*. if the decision made really pisses off the
8 > > community, again you will hear about it and you can take the response
9 > > into consideration. plus, if you do something really stupid, it isnt like
10 > > your ass will remain in power.
11 >
12 > I totally agree with you. However a majority of council members and
13 > many devs seem to think that since GLEP 39 was originally voted by all
14 > devs then every amendment to it needs to also be voted by all devs. As
15 > I saw that coming I asked the council to vote on whether it could
16 > decide on a process and the outcome was no. The only sensible way to
17 > go forward now is thus to ask developers what they want us to do. The
18 > other alternatives are not amending GLEP 39 or asking all devs to vote
19 > on each amendments. The former is obviously silly and I'm convinced
20 > the latter, although logical, isn't a good practical solution and may
21 > not be what a majority of devs want.
22
23 previous councils have already decided two things:
24 - the amendment process
25 - previous council decisions do not "go away" simply because a new council
26 has taken over
27 as such, simply clarify the GLEP and be done.
28
29 i dont know what "many devs" you refer to as i see very few people actually
30 talking about the issue. if there was real concern here, it'd be reflected on
31 the lists.
32 -mike