From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:16:47
On 08:00 Thu 12 Feb     , Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 15:53 Thu 12 Feb , Tiziano Müller wrote: > > ... and another issue asked by darkside already for the last meeting: > > - bash version in the tree ... please crawl archives.g.o on the -dev > > ml or your own archive for that. > > To save everyone else wasting time on this, I did it: > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_7254f04268189c86613391a2993a2805.xml
This will come up whenever new features show up in bash, so it's not purely a 3.1 issue. Here are a couple of options that have been mentioned in earlier discussion: Option A: Add bash dependencies to things using new features, and guarantee bash 3.1 on boxes doing metadata generation. This would break overlay users who aren't on 3.1 yet. (And will happen for new features in the future, too.) Option B: bash 3.1 has been stable since April 2006. We could lock down on the 3.1 feature set in EAPIs 0-2 and require new EAPIs for new bash features. Currently, PMS is set at 3.0 rather than 3.1. I think we should update the PMS to bash 3.1 to allow for '+=' use. I looked through the bash changelog, and 3.2 didn't appear to add any new and useful features. We should then require a new EAPI for new bash features. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Developer, Gentoo Linux Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com