From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: Meeting chair
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:00:09
1 On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 12:03 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 16.07.2011 11:14, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > >> I asked yesterday but I think I never got a reply. Which is the best way
6 > >> to discuss such things? Is it ML or alias? Is there a rule on "which"
7 > >> topics go public on ML and which stay private on alias?
8 >
9 > > In the past the alias has been used for purely administrative stuff
10 > > like this and actual content items on public ml (for example
11 > > gentoo-project) so that developers/users can express their opinion.
12 > > Like with gentoo-core I think we should avoid discussing technical
13 > > issues etc. in private.
14 >
15 > Right, the default should be to discuss things in public. There used
16 > to be the gentoo-council list for this, but now I'm being told that it
17 > shouldn't be used, but discussions should go to gentoo-project
18 > instead.
19 >
20 > IMHO this doesn't make much sense, as gentoo-project traditionally was
21 > used for non-technical matters (in fact, its description still says
22 > so). Looking into the archives, most topics on that list aren't
23 > related to the council. I would much prefer if we had a dedicated
24 > mailing list for actual council work, like discussion of our agenda
25 > items. A dedicated council list would also make it easier to find
26 > previous discussions.
27
28 As a slacker of a developer and a former council member I fully support
29 the council having it's own mailing list and aliases. Please don't allow
30 them to force me to have to subscribe to yet another mailing list that I
31 have to filter the * out of just to get to the core of what I need to
32 know. Just have ppl try to CC: -project or the likes when fitting.
35 solar <solar@g.o>
36 Gentoo Linux