From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: mtime preservation
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:24:08
1 >>>>> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >> Part of the problem (what you call "insufficient clarity") is that
4 >> the proposal's original intention was to cover only the merge
5 >> process, i.e. what takes place after pkg_preinst. Whereas you want
6 >> to extend it to include everything that is taking place after
7 >> src_install (for Portage, prepstrip and whatnot).
8 >>
9 >> If you limit it to the final merge process from D to ROOT, then the
10 >> answer is easy, namely mtimes of all regular files must be
11 >> preserved.
12
13 > What I want is for the proposal to be sufficiently specific that it
14 > covers exactly what the package manager can and cannot do, and what
15 > ebuilds can and cannot rely upon happening. If you require mtime
16 > preservation between pkg_preinst and the merge to /, the package
17 > manager can just screw things up (by implementing reasonable
18 > features) elsewhere. It is by no means clear to me that merely
19 > requiring mtime preservation from after pkg_preinst to before
20 > pkg_postinst, and allowing arbitrary mtime tinkering elsewhere, is
21 > what is desired.
22
23 Can you try to find a suitable wording? Otherwise, it's not clear to
24 me how the council could resolve the issue during the next meeting.
25
26 (And as my suggested wording [1] caused some unfortunate discussion,
27 I don't feel like I should come up with a new one myself.)
28
29 > As an example for the above, is it legal for a package manager to
30 > rewrite any mtime that is before the start of the build process if
31 > it does it after src_install but before pkg_preinst?
32
33 So you really want this? ;-) My personal opinion is that it wouldn't
34 break anything and we could therefore declare it as an allowed QA
35 measure. And if it takes place before pkg_preinst then the ebuild
36 could override it in special cases.
37
38 But please be aware that the council (October meeting) has voted
39 against this sort of mtime fixup.
40
41 Ulrich
42