From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:30:27
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > ...and there weren't any legitimate technical objections.
3
4 Beside "it doesn't solve anything". A perfect solution for non existent
5 problems isn't a viable solution.
6
7 >> If you and think that EAPI is meta-information then it should not be
8 >> inside file name and then it's possible to parse ebuild and get EAPI
9 >> from some defined-format line. Performance penalties can be mitigated
10 >> by some new caching (you know better than me that it's good idea to
11 >> re-implement caching in any case).
12 >
13 > The only thing that can parse ebuilds is bash,
14
15 False.
16
17 > Because all the alternatives are worse,
18
19 Disputed and disputable.
20
21 > and none of the objections to the extension have been technical in
22 > nature.
23
24 Yet most people do not care.
25
26 > They've all been "we don't want you to apply anti-mould paint to the
27 > rotting bikeshed because it's only available in brown".
28
29 And smells bad.
30
31 You can also replace it when/if is rotting.
32
33 lu
37 Luca Barbato
38 Gentoo Council Member