From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Improving Council operations with a web application
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:44:18
[Sorry for the delay of my answer.]

> I have a couple times said that the council could make use of a web > application to handle things. In celebration of the holidays I did > some initial work to get feedback on the issue. I created a simple > rails application where you can create questions and vote on them if > you are registered and signed up. Here's what I am thinking for this > to be truly useful in no particular order:
> 1. use openid to authenticate council members via > http://dev.gentoo.org/~nick/
> 2. every gentoo developer may put issues for the council to vote on
> 3. handle agenda items for meetings
> 4. email notifications about new votes and if someone hasn't voted > inside some timeline
> 5. handle glep submission timelines automatically
It looks promising, but of course we'll have to see how it works in practical usage. Will you write up instructions for openid if we are going to use this?
> Some benefits that come to mind:
> 1. easier to vote outside monthly meetings
If I see the rate of replies to questions raised on gentoo-council, the problem is more to get council members vote at all outside of meetings. ;-) But maybe an application like this will help.
> 2. security. Currently we don't really even check if council members > are authenticated on IRC and most of us probably don't use SSL to > connect there when authenticating.
If they have ops in #-council then they should be authenticated? I don't see this as a big problem, and I'm sure that any imposter would be noticed soon.
> 3. People can find out votes before the official summary is done. > I think the summary should still go into CVS but this can make it > easier to create it
Right, counting votes from a meeting's IRC log is somewhat difficult. It might even help when preparing the summary.
> If you think this would be something that we could use, I can > continue to make this usable.
I would say, go ahead. Ulrich