From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] eapi3 riders
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:11:23
Just nudging y'all to see if there is any complaints w/ slipping a few
riders in w/ eapi3 (aka prefix).

Specifically,

1) punting AA (no ebuild/eclass uses it, although
suppression of it is required for a few ebuilds due to env conflicts
w/ their build framework)

2) punting KV and it's friends- (check|get)_KV and
KV_(major|micro|minor|to_int).  The only ebuilds/eclasses aware of
these vars seem to be glibc <2.5-r3 for nptl checks.  This one is
potentially arguable although shifting it into an eclass would
definitely suffice if it were actually needed.

3) the fun one.  mtime preservation (bug 264130).  Exact wording is
still being tweaked (mostly screwing w/ double
negatives/contradictions), but it looks like the brewha on that one is
finally quieted down.  I can reiterate the specifics of why it's
needed if needs be, just ask.

The reason I'm suggesting these be slipped in is pretty
straightforward- for the first two, it's just punting some vars/code
that are dead from the ebuild spec.  For the last one, paludis has
mtime preservation code (disabled, and I've not tested it to see if
it's sane), pkgcore has a compliant implementation (does second level
resolution for merges), and portage is en route (second level is
doable, they're just trying to preserve NS where possible).

So... basically minimal work on the PM standpoint for mtime, and a
pretty useful gain for pkgs.

Thoughts?  Additionally, anyother minor cleanups folks can think of?
~harring