From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev] Council size & terms [WAS] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for January 22
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:57:32
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > > I'm in favor of a fixed size of council members, I'd like to see at
3 > > least 5 council members *if* developers want to change the size.
4 >
5 > What is your reasoning for this?
6
7 To make sure different views are represented in council's decisions and
8 to make sure the decisions are well-balanced. This can be partially
9 accomplished with having, say, 3 council members, of course - but well,
10 it's 5 to make sure.
11
12 > > I dislike the idea of stretched 2-year terms, instead I prefer having
13 > > 1-year staggered terms (voting every 6 months and replace 3 or 4
14 > > council members). This would allow to put open council slots into the
15 > > next election, we wouldn't need to hold extra elections for open slots
16 > > then.
17 >
18 > As I mentioned on the -council voting thread, I am concerned about a
19 > constant influx of new members every 6 months making it very difficult
20 > to make any progress. Do you think that won't be a problem? If so, what
21 > makes you think that?
22
23 In fact we had a constant influx of new council members constantly in
24 the past - which did also work somehow (I'd say it wasn't a problem in
25 the past). With having elections every 6 months we *could* start to
26 re-fill open slots with the next election (except there are more than ~2
27 open slots) and therefore won't have to deal with new council members
28 constantly but only every 6 months.
29
30 > > Anyways, this is something we can discuss - but as a change to the
31 > > voting procedure most likely does change or extend what's written down
32 > > in GLEP 39 I'd like to see a election on those changes.
33 >
34 > I'm assuming you mean a vote by all Gentoo devs, since an election
35 > generally involves voting for a person rather than a policy.
36
37 Yup, "election by all devs"
38
39 > Just as a point of reference, the council has voted to change GLEP 39 in
40 > the past. I definitely feel that we need to hold this discussion
41 > publicly and get input from everyone. I think the council should then
42 > take all this input into consideration and vote upon it.
43
44 In the past the council iirc didn't vote upon changes to the process of
45 voting for, size and lengths of terms of the council. (Adding the
46 _reopen_nominations candidate was something people took part in the
47 discussion did agree with, but there was no council or developer vote on
48 that.) It doesn't hurt to cast a vote by all developers on that, but
49 this vote does legitimate the changes voted upon.
50
51 Tobias