From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Initial Council Meeting Summary for 12 March 2009
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:05:08
1 On 16:58 Fri 13 Mar , Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 > EAPI-3 Proposals:
3 >
4 > Note: The following two proposals were discussed before it was
5 > realized that there was not sufficient time to discuss all of
6 > them. At that point a call for objections to any of the proposals
7 > found at [1] was asked for, and none were made.
8
9 Could you please explicitly list the proposals? Google Docs is a living,
10 changing entity.
11
12 Also please add a Next Action section (which I describe below). If you
13 cannot answer it, please ask on-list for clarification.
14
15 > Technical Issues:
16
17 Heh, I didn't realize EAPI=3 wasn't technical. =)
18
19 > - GLEP 54
20 > Thomas(tanderson) sent out a comparison of GLEP 54 and the liveebuild proposals.
21 > Among those discussing GLEP 54 there was a general consensus that
22 > there was nothing wrong with it as a first step to get correct
23 > ordering. Luca(lu_zero) commented that all he was concerned about was
24 > that there was not enough 'meat' to the GLEP.
25 >
26 > Conclusion:
27 > No decision yet, Doug(Cardoe) and Luca(lu_zero) intend to write a
28 > GLEP to handle the second part of the problem(making the revision
29 > available to ebuilds/package manager/users.
30 >
31 > - GLEP 55
32 > Petteri, Zac, and Ciaran were supposed to benchmark the various
33 > proposals and report back. Zac did not write the code for portage so
34 > Petteri had nothing to report on this issue. Ciaran commented that
35 > the solutions other than GLEP 55 had a 50% slowdown in the valid cache
36 > situation compared to GLEP55, but did not post the raw numbers or the
37 > patches used.
38
39 Could you make it explicit what the next actions are here, and who will
40 do them, although the portage code thing is mentioned above?
41
42 I'd like to see a Next Action section for any item that isn't totally
43 completed. If we can't answer it with a Who, What, and When, then we
44 haven't accomplished anything in a way likely to produce results.
45
46 > - Migration of KEYWORDS from ebuilds to profiles:
47 > Ned Ludd(solar) brought this up, but it came up in the middle of agenda
48 > items so was not talked about much. Some points were made that such a scheme
49 > would require a git conversion, but nothing was agreed upon because there
50 > was too little time.
51
52 Well, because it was frankly OT at the time, not brought up for the
53 agenda, nobody had time to plan, there was no goal for the discussion,
54 etc ... I wouldn't go blaming this on lack of time.
57 Thanks,
58 Donnie
59
60 Donnie Berkholz