From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Question I had while writing my devmanual patch about eclasses
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:19:59
Am Donnerstag, den 04.06.2009, 19:01 -0400 schrieb Thomas Anderson:
> While writing the devmanual patch that I agreed to write for removal of > eclasses I came across the very vague definition of "deprecating" > eclasses before removal. Ulrich(last name ommitted to avoid stabbing ;-) ) > and we came up with the following for the process of deprecating an > eclass: > > a. make sure nothing in the tree uses it any more > b. announce deprecation on -dev > c. put a warning in pkg_setup > d. add a line containing exactly "# @DEAD" for vapier's man pages > > Please vote so we don't have to go over this in a meeting. I personally > am fine with it, but my vote matters little.
According to the above you applied Common Sense (tm) which would have been sufficient, but since you ask: yes, I think it looks ok. We may want to create an additional deprecated.eclass where we implement pkg_setup (and maybe pkg_pretend for eapi-3) to have a default "this is deprecated" warning and die-statement. Cheers, Tiziano -- Tiziano Müller Gentoo Linux Developer, Council Member Areas of responsibility: Samba, PostgreSQL, CPP, Python, sysadmin, GLEP Editor E-Mail : dev-zero@g.o GnuPG FP : F327 283A E769 2E36 18D5 4DE2 1B05 6A63 AE9C 1E30