From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: [gentoo-dev] Jun 11th, 2009 Council Meeting Format
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:05:15
1 Heya,
2
3 thanks for bringing this up!
4
5 Doug Goldstein wrote:
6 > All,
7 >
8 > The current council meetings have gotten completely out of hand for
9 > weeks meetings have become nothing more then a continuation of the
10 > senseless bicker-fest that have become the e-mail threads on GLEP54,
11 > GLEP55, and EAPI-3 without any real progress or sense coming of them.
12 > It's taken me a little bit to step up and put a stop to it but I fully
13 > intend on putting a stop to it.
14
15 Remove EAPI-3 from that list (as we got that off our desk for now, but
16 the whole process could've been much easier, yeah ...), but in general:
17 the neverending GLEP54/55 stuff isn't fun and i don't see us getting any
18 further on that anytime soon.
19
20 > 1) Agenda Topics are posted to the appropriate mailing lists at a
21 > MINIMUM 7 days prior to the meeting. (That means the agenda must be
22 > formed by this Thursday).
23 > 1a) Any changes to the agenda should be ACK'd by the council members
24 > (off list via the council alias). Changes can not occur less than 48
25 > hours from the meeting.
26
27 ack
28
29 > 2) The #gentoo-council channel become moderated as we had discussed
30 > several times in the past.
31
32 The "experiment" do keep meetings unmoderated was quite successful in
33 the beginning nearly a year ago, i'd like to get back to the beginn of
34 our experiment instead of just +m. If it proves not to work ... well we
35 still have +m.
36
37 > 2a) Topics will be brought up and people wishing to address the
38 > council and the developer body at large should speak to the day's
39 > appointed moderator. We can take turns or I can do it (maybe it'll
40 > keep my head from banging against the keyboard as it has in the past
41 > watching the various non-council members argue completely non-agenda
42 > items back and forth).
43 > 2b) Requests are made in tells and honored in turn. The moderator will
44 > announce to the channel who wishes to speak and the order they are in
45 > and will efficiently work through the list. If you can not remain on
46 > topic, you will lose your voice.
47
48 See above, looks good to me and would help in making meetings more
49 productive, just marking the channel +m is something we can do if "real"
50 moderation doesn't work.
51
52 > 3) Once discussion on the topic has concluded, the council members
53 > will vote on the actions requested by the developer body. That does
54 > not mean it is time for council members to concoct an entirely new
55 > plan by the seat of their pants... which leads me to the next topic.
56
57 Add: Things to vote upon must be clear and precise worded. Discussing
58 for half an hour of what's been voted upon and changing votes for
59 several times is a huge waste of time (like we had 2 1/2 weeks ago).
60
61 > 4) Council members will now be expected to ACK the agenda on the
62 > appropriate mailing lists at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. If
63 > you can't, let the council know. You should be able to do this without
64 > relying on your proxy, but your proxy may do this for you as well if
65 > you have an extended away.
66 > 4a) Failure to ACK the agenda will be noted on the meeting minutes.
67 > 4b) Council members will be expected to formulate their thoughts in
68 > reply to the agenda items and to research the discussion they wish to
69 > have on the mailing list PRIOR to the meeting and not fly by the seat
70 > of their pants.
71 > 4c) "The first I heard of this and I need 4 weeks to research this."
72 > or any variation of the quoted statement is no longer a valid
73 > statement. The point of the meeting is to weigh and debate the items
74 > before us now. Do your research PRIOR to the meeting, not during.
75
76 ... and ack.
77
78 wkr,