From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] How to handle appeals
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:50:50
1 Here's an idea for how the appeals should happen. Thanks to Chrissy for
2 her contribution to this.
3
4 I think that doing this via email will promote ongoing and deeper
5 thought more than trying to do this in a time-pressured manner where
6 we'll probably be getting hassled by everyone appealing in addition to
7 numerous other "concerned people." Since it is a personnel matter, I
8 think it should be private deliberation in the same way devrel would do
9 it or the US supreme court would (since we always like the analogies
10 there...).
11
12 What we should do is have each retired dev appeal to council@g.o with a
13 single email that describes their reasoning, with the results of the
14 appeals announced during a council meeting.
15
16 Since we'll have a new council in a couple of weeks, I don't want to
17 decide on this with the potential of having the decision reversed
18 shortly one way or the other. I think that would make both old and new
19 councils look bad.
20
21 Therefore, the people appealing could begin preparing their appeals now,
22 with submission to the new council as soon as they're elected (July 2?).
23 The new council could have a bit over one week to decide and then would
24 announce the results at the July 10 meeting.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Donnie
28 --