From: Torsten Veller <tove@g.o>
To: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-council] Re: prepalldocs
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:41:37
* Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o>:
> Torsten Veller wrote: > > * Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>: > >> Technical Issues: > >> - Prepalldocs > >> Should the 'prepalldocs' be allowed in current EAPIs? > >> > >> Conclusion: > >> Prepalldocs is banned in current EAPIs(0,1,2). It should be > >> removed from ebuilds. Petteri Räty(Betelgeuse) will make QA > >> checks for repoman. > > > > You only did half of your job. > > > > Do we want some docs being compressed, others not? > > Do we want to have compressed docs at all? > > What do you expect from maintainers now? > > > > To me it means: Instead of using prepalldocs I will move the docdir to > > a temporary place and dodoc every file back to docdir. Insane. > > Maybe I add a function named prepalldocs to the ebuilds that does the job. > > > > Thanks. > > Please read the logs.
| 15:35 < dev-zero> prepalldocs should be kept internal and usage should be avoided | 15:36 < dev-zero> reason: internal function and change of it's implementation prooves it | 15:36 < dev-zero> if someone want's it's functionality he should propose a solution for a future eapi It is not an internal function. And it's a strange way to prove anything. Around 250 ebuilds use it. So there is probably someone who actually uses this functionality.
> prepalldocs has no clearly defined behavior so it should not be used > by ebuilds.
It was possible to rectify it. You chose to remove the function completely.
It's in ebuild.5 for years. And as recruiting lead you probably know that the Developer Handbook contains it as well <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1>.
> If they have a justified need beyond those, they should open a request > for adding needed things to the next EAPI.
I will probably do it after i got answers to the questions above. Thanks.