From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:21:22
1 On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:10:55 -0800
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 16:21 Thu 12 Feb , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:16:45 -0800
5 > > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > I think we should update the PMS to bash 3.1 to allow for '+='
7 > > > use. I looked through the bash changelog, and 3.2 didn't appear
8 > > > to add any new and useful features. We should then require a new
9 > > > EAPI for new bash features.
10 > >
11 > > That would require GLEP 55 to provide any protection. A new EAPI on
12 > > its own wouldn't be enough.
13 >
14 > What kind of protection are you talking about
15
16 The problem is, without GLEP 55, EAPI isn't known before the ebuild is
17 sourced to generate metadata. If someone uses += anywhere that older
18 bash looks when sourcing for metadata generation (which is not just
19 global scope), the package manager won't know that the EAPI says that
20 bash-3.1 is required for sourcing until after it's already done the
21 sourcing, by which point it's too late.
22
23 > and is it already in place for every bash feature in 3.0?
24
25 The bash 3.0 transition was done before EAPIs came along, and was
26 handled by the old fashioned "wait for ages until we're absolutely sure
27 that everyone has bash 3.0 before continuing" method.
30 Ciaran McCreesh