From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:04:04
1 On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:37:43 -0800
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 17:21 Thu 12 Feb , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > The problem is, without GLEP 55, EAPI isn't known before the ebuild
5 > > is sourced to generate metadata. If someone uses += anywhere that
6 > > older bash looks when sourcing for metadata generation (which is
7 > > not just global scope)
8 >
9 > Where else does it look?
10
11 It has to be able to parse the file, which means it can get confused by
12 things that appear to older versions to be mismatched brackets, even if
13 they're hidden deep in some function.
14
15 > > the package manager won't know that the EAPI says that bash-3.1 is
16 > > required for sourcing until after it's already done the sourcing,
17 > > by which point it's too late.
18 >
19 > OK. What could we do about this? GLEP 55 was one suggestion.
20 >
21 > I'm seeing a lot of people shooting down suggestions, and not many
22 > people presenting good, workable solutions. Could we get some more of
23 > those on the table?
24
25 GLEP 55 *is* the good, workable solution. There still haven't been
26 legitimate any technical objections to it.
29 Ciaran McCreesh